Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Homeless Guys

On Sunday night, I got to spend the evening with some homeless guys. I don't know a lot about the shelter, but Jacob (the outreach minister) often volunteers at the small shelter and spends the night there. There were about 1o homeless guys that showed up. Most of them were older and may have jobs, but either way they don't have a place to live. The cost of a place to rent is extremely high here. We had some sandwiches and cookies for dinner, and most went to sleep quickly. Most of them were easy-going guys. A few of us stayed up a little to watch some of the Yankees game. I didn't spend the night, but I'm hoping that I can go back a few times over the summer.
Jesus often hung out with the poor. I realize that I rarely do. I remember a sermon where the preacher talked about 1 Timothy 5:6-10.
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
The preacher said to keep from falling into the trap of wealth, we must constantly be giving our wealth away, and we must constantly be around the poor.
I think that's good advice. I definitely need to spend more time with the poor and hopefully this summer will stretch me.

No comments: