Monday, October 22, 2007

Not from Brooklyn

So tonight I decided to get some pizza for dinner. I went to the local pizza place, Giovanni's, to enjoy some authentic New York sausage pizza. While I was waiting, the woman beside me was talking with they guy working about her cat that had been lost for a week and a half. I struck up a conversation with her, asking about the cat. We chatted a little, then she asked me where I was from. When I told her I was from Oklahoma, she responded with: "You're not from Brooklyn...so that's why you're talking." So I started a conversation with a stranger - guess I'm not from Brooklyn.
Actually Bensonhurst, my neighborhood, has been really inviting. When you start a conversation, people are really open to talking. It really is a great neighborhood. It's definitely a lot different from life back in Broken Arrow, OK. But like I often say, people are people. It's not like New Yorkers are from another planet or another people group. There are some differences, but in many ways, people are the same as back home.
So I guess the moral of the story (haha)...don't let your stereotypes of people get carried away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post cousin!! It is so true!

Anonymous said...

albanese pizza the slope for life!!!!!

-Ben.

i hope your doing well. maybe we can hang out soon.

nwinstead said...

Does anyone know what "albanese" pizza is? I'm guessing the "slope" might have something to do with park slope? I'm going to have to try this albanese pizza.

Joshua said...

Hey Nathan,
Yeah, where we're at, people can tell pretty quick that we're not from around here. We don't even have to start talking. Though people here are completely different from back home, we're still learning the same lesson you are. As we experience more and meet more people, more and more of our stereotypes get blown out of the water.